Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Today’s feature is one of the strongest people I have ever met. Enzi Tanner; or as I met him, Zakiya Tanner, is one of the fiercest friends you could ever ask for. From the first time we met at a recruiting event for what would become our alma mater, William Jewell College, to the present I can always count on Z in a pinch to give quality advice and encouragement. I met Z as a woman who was faithful and have seen her grow into a man that continues to be faithful. Z became the first African American at William Jewell College to be homecoming royalty and is now blazing a trail on so many different levels in Minneapolis. I love Z forever and always. This is his story:



Enzi Tanner is a self identified Black American transgender spoken word artist. He currently attends the United Theological Seminary of the Twin Cities where he is pursuing a Masters of Divinity, with an emphasis in Peace and Justice. Enzi is one of the co-pastors (and founders of) House of the Transfiguration. House of the Transfiguration is a new church starting up in Minneapolis. They are dreaming together about a community that celebrates and welcomes people, works for justice, and is vitally involved in the community. Enzi is one of the Leaders of trannsaints. Trannsaints empowers leaders of the African American faith communities. Enzi is a street based outreach worker for Lutheran Social Services. As an outreach worker Enzi connects at risk and homeless youth to resources. He has committed his life to community organizing in areas of intersections; in particular where issues of race, gender, sexuality, faith, and economic justice collide.




Why do I think Black History Month is important?

I have always been passionate about history and I wish more people were as passionate about history as I am. One of the reasons why Black History Month is important is because in a time where history is becoming more and more white washed it’s refreshing to be reminded of the many accomplishments and trials of people from African American decent.

What do I do to contribute to Black History Month?

The simplest thing I do is daily post a status update on Facebook about today in Black History. It’s small, but it allows several thousand people on my friends list to see some small facts about Black History. I also have led a chapel honoring the life of Malcolm X on February 21st each year when I am able to. Black History Month is also a time where I am able to engage the youth I work with on an even more intentional level around their history, my history, and our history.

No comments:

Post a Comment