Saturday, February 2, 2013

Black History Month 2013 Day 2



Family Matters



Cultural Significance:

This TV series didn't win any prestigious awards, but it did win over the hearts and minds of many families in the 90’s.

Family Matters was a spin-off of the show Perfect Strangers. It focused on a middle-class family from Chicago and then, halfway through the first season, a neighbor kid named Steve Urkel literally stole show. His popularity carried the series to a nine season run. His one liners and quirky personality will forever be ingrained into every child of the 90’s. The phrase ‘Did I do that?’ will never be able to be said without a nasally impersonation of the show’s break-out star.

It is the third longest running TV show starring a predominantly black cast only behind The Jeffersons and Tyler Perry’s House of Payne. It ran from 1989 to 1998 with 215 episodes. It was part of the extremely popular TGIF line-up on ABC. Friday nights were never the same once the Winslow's entered your living room.



Personal Significance:

Today’s choice may surprise a lot of you. For those of you that know my brother and I well, you will be far from surprised. First and foremost, Urkel rules. I know that Family Matters was not an amazing show, but it was an amazing show for families to watch together. I've caught a few episodes in recent years and I realize that it will never be on top of any critics Ten Best list, but I will always have fond memories of this show.

When I was a kid I never wanted to do anything but watch TGIF on ABC every Friday night. Those shows were always the start of my weekend. I remember it being a time for us to watch TV together as a family. I also remember it being a time for my brother to perfect his impression of Steve Urkel as often as possible.



The thing that made TGIF special was that it was programming that was just showing families. I don’t remember there being much focus on the Winslows being a black family in Chicago. I just remember them being a family in Chicago. Family Matters dealt with the ups and downs of families and opened the door to other shows with predominantly black casts to premier on TGIF. Sister, Sister and Hangin with Mr. Cooper were able to grow because of the success of Family Matters.

I’m thankful that ABC took a chance on a series that was a very tiny spin-off of Perfect Strangers. Urkel will always have a special place in my heart and I hope to share the fun of this silly show with my nieces in years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment