Thursday, February 2, 2012

I had the most amazing opportunity to meet Shaleese when she was still “Beaz” and before she became “Rockett.” Coincidentally enough, we did not meet in our hometown, but in college. We had completely different perspectives of the place we called home, but that didn’t stop us from becoming fantastic friends. It actually encouraged and nursed this friendship. I have seen Ms. Rockett through many a struggle, but she has always and will always come out on top. I am proud to say she is one of MY friends.
This is her story:



My name is Shaleese Beasley-Rockett. I was born and raised in Des Moines, Iowa. I am the youngest of 3 children. I took the long route of life through several different colleges including William Jewell College in Liberty, Mo, Prince Georges Community College in Largo, MD, and a few other places in between. I found myself landing back in Parkville, Mo, where I graduated from Park University with my bachelors degree in Social Work. Once I moved back to Missouri, I met my husband and had my son and found myself staying in the greater Kansas City area. I then returned to Graduate school and completed my Masters in Social Work in July of 2011. I currently work in the urban core of the city at a non-profit organization called Bishop Sullivan Center-St. James Place. I am employed as a Job Counselor assisting low income job seekers return into the working field. 85% of my clients are African American- and 43% hold a felony conviction. I truly enjoy working with this population and know it is my calling from God.

Why do I believe black history is important? Growing up in Iowa, in a 99.2% white state (at the time it may have increased .5% by now LOL), black history was the furthest thing from many people's minds. I remember the first time I truly recognized that being "black" was different. I was 5 years old and swinging on a swing at school. A classmate of mine told me to get off and I told her no. She loudly shouted "Nigger get off that swing now". My teacher came and put us both in time out???? Our parents were then called in the following day, and my classmate’s father refused to shake my father's hand. That is when my parents started pounding the importance of black history into my mind. Although society was teaching me that black people were lazy, mean, trouble makers, dumb, and had no goals, black history taught me the opposite. Black history taught me how black people were intelligent, creative, strong, and beautiful. I learned that if it wasn't for Black people this country truly wouldn't have much at all. I see the current generation of children lacking their knowledge on black history. As a parent I want my son and future children to understand that being black still means you are creative, strong, and a beautiful person. I hope to instill the positive image of being black into my own children as my parents did for me.



My contribution in black history would be the work that I do within the urban core community. God blessed me to be able to complete my education so that I can give of my time and talents to those in need. Social Workers focus on being advocates for those in society who "slip through the cracks", those that we all see, yet some choose to ignore. My way of giving back is focusing on those in the Black community who meet those criteria, through mental health case management, counseling, or on a political level.

I am finally at the point in my life where I can truly say it loud "I'm Black and I'm Proud."

No comments:

Post a Comment