Friday, February 8, 2013

Black History Month 2013 Day 8



The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air



Cultural Significance:



Fresh Prince of Bel-Air is first and foremost culturally significant for its theme song. Secondly, it is culturally significant for The Carlton. Anyone that grew up in the 90’s can give you the entire first stanza to the theme song. Plus, it is just pure genius. The Carlton, well Alfonso Ribeiro is awesome.



A couple of tidbits about this show that I found interesting were that the show was created because Will Smith was having problems financially (needed to pay back taxes and such) and so Quincy Jones helped develop the series into what we all know and love it to be. I am never and advocate for being frivolous with money, but in this instance I am a bit happy it happened.

Also, being an Iowa girl I was pleased to find that the University in the series was modeled after Upper Iowa University. The school colors (blue and white) for University Los Angeles and it’s mascot (peacock) were the same as Upper Iowa’s so the producers had to get permission from the University before using them.

This series ran for 148 episodes over 6 seasons and is still in syndication worldwide. The show won multiple awards, including Young Artist and Image Awards, and dealt with relevant issues during its run. It is still referenced culturally and will forever remain a part of our hearts.

Personal Significance:



If you know me even a little bit you know that I think Will Smith is one of the greatest people on God's green earth. I think he is such an amazing person, role model, actor, and (from what I can tell) father. I have watched loads of interviews with him and seen almost his entire body of work. I think the man is for lack of a better phrase ‘super cool.’ 

Plus, he raps happy. First Ever Rap Grammy. Miami. Parents Just Don’t Understand. Lost & Found.

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air was the first time I had ever seen Will Smith. The show is infectious and it keeps you watching no matter how silly the story lines are. The cast is brilliant. Hilary and Carlton were such great (and ridiculous) characters, but you always loved them. No matter what. Fresh Prince could make you laugh and cry in the same episode and I always knew how much Aunt Viv and Uncle Phil loved Will even though he constantly made them crazy. Watching Jazz get tossed out of the house was always expected, but still never disappointed. I did, however, always feel bad for Geoffrey because they were mean to him. I know he was the butler, but DANG!



Fresh Prince makes me recall my childhood and represents the beginning of my love of Will Smith. However, when watching the show as an adult it still holds up as a great series that dealt with many different kinds of themes. One of the most memorable for me is when Will’s absent father comes to visit and gets his hopes up for doing lots of stuff together and that he will be around again. The emotion that comes always catches me off guard and reminds me that being loved by a parent is needed at any age, but especially for teens.



Take a look back at this wonderful series. You won’t be disappointed.



And for an added bonus, check out this Tumblr with Fresh Prince quotes.

No comments:

Post a Comment